The plant's history began on March 8, 1949, when Glavneftemontazh of the USSR Ministry of Petroleum Industry issued Order No. 14 on the establishment of the Kuibyshev Metalwork Plant of the Neftezavodomontazh Trust.
Development in the 1950s and 1960s.
In August 1949, the Kuibyshev factory of rolled and assembled blanks was built and started working. Our plant was chosen for the introduction of a new, progressive - for the first time in the world practice - method of manufacturing and installing tanks by rolling up. He became the leading one in the country in the production of tanks by the roll method, it was here that specialists from all the other factories producing tank metal structures were training.
Providing equipment, creating technological flows, training in the production process - everything has been doing at an accelerated pace. Products were expected with impatience, the flow of it grew rapidly. And this is the great merit of the first plant director Grigory V. Zilbershmidt.
Since 1949 to 1954 years, the post of the chief designer of the enterprise was occupied by the outstanding Soviet scientist Vsevolod M. Didkovsky, one of the authors of the industrial method of construction of rolled steel tanks of large volume. For the introduction of a new method, V. M. Didkovskiy was awarded a Honorary diploma, the highest award of the USSR. In the group of scientists and heads of construction organizations, he was awarded the Lenin Prize in the field of science and technology "For the development and implementation of an industrial method for the construction of oil tanks from flat cloths rolled up into rolls".
Since the early 1960s, the factory of rolled structures fabricated tanks with a capacity of 10, and then 20 cubic meters. Due to the development of high-strength steels, it became possible to use the roll method for making the tanks with a capacity of 30-50 cubic meters. In ten years, a new method of building tanks occupied the main place in the country. He was highly appreciated by foreign experts, and in 1958 was awarded the Lenin prize, the highest award in the country in science and technology.
The plant workers worked hard on the prospect of tanks engineering, manufacturing prototypes. In the second half of the 60s a pilot tank with a capacity of 5000 cubic meters and with a cone-shaped conical roof made of corrugated sheet 3 mm thick was produced. There were tanks with conical and spherical roofs and many others.
Wilhelm V. Madzelevsky, who was the director of the plant since 1963 to 1966, made a big contribution to the development of roll technology. Talented, extraordinary man, he went through all the steps: he started as an engineer-designer, then he headed the technical department and held the position of the chief engineer. Vladimir M. Golinko, who participated in the construction and functioning of the mechanized mill, was working at the plant for a long time.
Development in the 1970s and 1980s.
As time went by, the plant was growing and developing. By 1975, manual welding was almost replaced by automatic welding under a layer of flux and by semi-automatic welding in a carbon dioxide environment.
The plant has mastered the manufacture of the most complex isothermal tanks with a capacity of 20 thousand tons for storage of liquid ammonia by the roll method. For example, ventilation pipes for CHPs up to 150 m high were made from special steel. Sheet metal structures were also performed by order of ore mining and processing enterprises. Large diameter pipelines, through which iron ore was transported by compressed air, were assembled by using a roll method. Samarans have produced roofing rolls for the cycle track in Krylatskoye and for the indoor stadium at the Prospekt Mira in Moscow.
The crown of the roll production method was a special object made of stainless steel in 1974 for the Cosmonaut Training Center in Zvezdniy City. The factory director V. V. Madzelevsky was awarded the diploma and commemorative medal of Yu. A. Gagarin for the successful realization of this order. Deputy Chief Engineer V.P. Krokhin was awarded the same medal.
By and large, at that time the plant's products were known in 83 countries of the world. Very large orders for the supply of tanks came from France and Italy, one of the PBC-1000 was made for England and one for Japan. The largest order in 1976-1977 were made for Peru, where the pipeline was building; gasholder with a capacity of 50 000 cubic meters was supplied for Cuba.
Development in the post-Soviet period
During the transformation to a market economy the factory could not avoid the decline in production, reduction in staff.
In 1992 A. P. Bolonin was elected as a general director of JSC "Samara tank plant". In the new conditions, he was the first who rose the issue of a sharp increase in the quality of products. To increase competitiveness, the management of the plant chose the development and implementation of a quality management system as a priority direction (QMS).
Our plant was one of the first that introduced the QMS in Samara and in the region. At the beginning of 1996, an agreement on its implementation was concluded with the Samara Center of Metrology and Standardization. At the same time, in 1996, the projects of tanks, welding procedures and welders were certified in accordance with the requirements of the American standard API-650, for which the relevant documents of the English company "Register-Lloyd» were received. Certification had beneficial impact on the image of the company, in the same year the international prize "For the best trade" (Spain) was received.
In autumn 1997, the plant officially received a certificate of conformity in accordance to ISO 9002, what contributed to the winning of large tenders and contracting. Successful cooperation continued with a number of CIS countries — Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Turkmenistan, Azerbaijan as well as with far-abroad countries — Italy, Turkey, Cuba.
The contribution of the Samara reservoir plant in the establishment of production for the major construction projects of our country is significant. The Cherepovets blast furnace No. 5, Chernobyl, Tobolsk, Nizhnekamsk, Bereznyakovskaya and a number of other chemical plants — here are the addresses to which OJSC "STP" sent first-class products: isothermal tanks for storage of liquefied hydrocarbon gases at low temperatures below zero. They have been mastered first in the country. The factory also fulfilled bulk orders on the manufacture of tanks for the Baikal-Amur mainline, the oil fields in Western Siberia, the Chernobyl nuclear power plant …
For half a century the Samara tank plant has produced over 1.5 million tons of various products, including:
— building metal structures — 1325 tons,
— flanges — 110 thousand tons,
— taps — 4,5 thousand tons,
— expanded steel sheet — 100 thousand tons.
There is something to be proud of for us who are working now, and for those who gave his work and his soul to the plant.
The history of plant names
1949 — Kuibyshev steel plant Neftezavodmontazh trust.
1958 – Kuibyshev Plant of mounting blanks of the Glavneftemontazh trust.
1960 – Kuibyshev plant of rolling and mounting blanks of the Glavneftemontazh trust.
1963 – General directorate of production enterprises of the State production committee of mounting and specialized works of the USSR.
1965 – General directorate of production enterprises of the Ministry of mounting and specialized works of the USSR.
1969 – Kuibyshev Plant of Tank Metal Structures.
1992 — JSC "Samara Tank Plant".
Lenin prize laureates. Sitting (left to right): E. A. Ignatenko, G. V. Raevsky — the managers of work; standing: O.M. Ivantsov, B.V. Popovsky, V.S. Lyakhov, V.S. Kornienko, E.K. Alekseev, V.M. Didkovskiy